SDC Technology Forum #33
The Mills House Hotel
Charleston, South Carolina
Wednesday, March 13, 2013
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 14, 2013
8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Registration is open.
Please keep in mind: The Strategic Repair Research Council (SRRC) Workshop will occur just before the SDC Technology Forum #33. Review the details here.
SDC Technology Forum #33
SDC Forum #33 will focus on topics with potential impact on the concrete industry and Technology Showcases will range from products to “improve the rheology and workability of concretes” to “advancements in composite design” to “using NASA life support technology to reduce cement industry CO2 emissions.”
NOTE: Immediately before Forum #33 (on March 12, 2013), the SDC will host the first Strategic Repair Research Council (SRRC) workshop. Those interested should make travel/hotel plans in conjunction with SDC Forum #33, and visit the link to the SRRC workshop.
Some Forum #33 highlights include:
- A presentation on Bosch technology that has been in development at NASA for carbon dioxide (CO2) reduction in spacecraft life support systems. Recently, this technology approach has shown considerable potential as an Earth application to reduce CO2 emissions in the cement industry. As an added benefit, studies suggest that the resulting solid carbon by-product has the potential to dramatically improve the mechanical properties of concrete products made from the carbon-infused cement.
- An overview of Advance Nuclear Technology research projects that EPRI (the Electrical Power Research Institute) is currently/planning related to concrete, reinforcing, and construction.
- A new approach to identifying the potential for alkali-silica reaction (ASR) and a methodology to “quickly” predict the extent and time frame for future damage. Such a test would be valuable for not only pavements and structures but also of great interest to the nuclear industry as they evaluate existing structures.
- BIM-related presentations on:
- Interoperability standards developing efforts as they near completion of an Information Delivery Manual (IDM) as the first step in this cast-in-place BIM standard.
- A look at legal concerns with the use of BIM that may be issues as BIM is rapidly adopted and used throughout the construction industry.
- Further work on the “Green Cements” (or alternative concrete binders) as the Accelerated Technology Implementation (ATI) team looks to form a fast-track document writing team in ACI known as an ITG (Integrated Task Group). Such a vehicle would be expected to complete documentation within the ACI consensus process within about 2 years.
- And an update on coal ash regulations by the EPA.
Breakout working groups are currently planned for:
- Concrete in nuclear construction
- Concrete wind turbine towers
- Green cements
- Repair (Vision 2020)
Hotel reservations at The Mills House, located in Charleston, South Carolina, can be made through the SDC website or by calling the hotel directly at 843-577-2400 or toll-free at 800-874-9600. Notify the reservationist that you will be attending meetings of the Strategic Development Council—group code: SDC—to receive the negotiated rate. Please keep in mind that the hotel reservation cut-off date for this rate is February 19, 2013. If you wish to extend your stay and enjoy a bit of R&R before or after the SDC and/or Strategic Repair Research Council meeting, the negotiated rate will be extended from March 11-15 but the extended dates are subject to availability and only the dates of March 11, 12, and 13 are actually held within our room block, so be sure to book as early as possible.
To make your reservations with the hotel online via weblink directly into the Strategic Development Council block, CLICK HERE.